birding-aus

Identity of green pigeon?????

To: Brian and Meg <>,
Subject: Identity of green pigeon?????
From: Ian Cowan <>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:19:06 +1000
Tanna Fruit-Dove??   Ptilinopus tannensis
On 29/10/2012 8:39 PM, Brian and Meg wrote:
Hi everyone. We've just returned from a cruise out to Fiji and Vanuatu. The cruise
was mainly a holiday but we did keep our eyes open for new birds. While in Port
Vila, Vanuatu, we took a taxi out to the Cascade Waterfalls about 10 km outside of
the town. This site would be considered as lowland. There, in the carpark, high in
a tree, we saw a green pigeon or dove that I so far have been unable to identify,
although it reminded me of doves seen in Kalimantan. It was about the size of a
feral rock pigeon; had a pale yellow head, neck and vent area (possibly female??)
while the rest was a pale green with some possible blue/green on the chest &
shoulders. The main identifying feature were the 5 or 6 pale yellow or cream
circular dots on the outer wings. These dots were of irregular size. Any ideas???
Brian & Meg

--
18 years ago the USA had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash ....
Now they have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.