birding-aus

Tasmanian Masked Owl

Subject: Tasmanian Masked Owl
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:50:31 +1100
Hello all,

I finally completed my PhD thesis on Tasmanian Masked Owls a couple of
months ago. In case people are interested (Tassie Masked Owls are
pretty cool birds after all),  I have decided to makeit available for
download at the dropbox website below. It is a pdf file, just under 5
MB in size.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a93sxw6lsosftfk/5yY20FrsFZ

Eventually it will be downloadable from the UTAS library website, but
that might be a while. Later this year I will convert some of the
chapters into articles for publishing elsewhere.

Over the years I took a lot of photos of masked owls, in case people
are really interested my gallery of most of these photos can be found
at:

http://wildlifing.smugmug.com/NatureandLandscape/Birds/Tasmanian-Masked-Owl/7582668_6sHbhD#!p=1&n=15

As a very quick summary of the results; I found the masked owls more
likely to be detected (as response to call playback) in areas with
mostly mature dry eucalypt forest. In fact all of my sites with 100%
mature dry euc forests had masked owls. However, they also were
detected in wet euc forest, just not as often as in dry euc forest. I
didn't survey in agricultural areas so I can't comment on how many
occur in these areas (certainly some do). However, I found no
relationship between edges and masked owl detection rates which was a
bit of a surprise. Best habitat seemed to be mature (old growth) dry
euc forest- the more the better. Very low detection rates above 575
metres elevation in any type of forest. Diet included a wide range of
animals but usually included rodents (mostly introduced species) and
where available bandicoots (mostly eastern barred).

Cheers and thanks to all those who helped and provided support over the years.

Cheers,

Mick

--
--