birding-aus

a great day in Western Sydney

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: a great day in Western Sydney
From: Christine Melrose <>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:47:29 +1100
Hi All,
Brian Downer and I headed out to Pitt Town Bottoms at 7:30-8am today and
flushed the Latham's Snipe out of the small dam to the south of the
lagoon.  The large lagoon is being drained, all water going into 3 large
square areas with nets over them.  One of the renowned birding areas will
soon be gone.  Also seen were a pair of Buff-banded Rails and the Wood
Sandpiper, Red-kneed and Black-fronted Dotterels, Black-wing Stilts and
Pacific Golden Plover as well as the usual other inhabitants.  Reed
Warblers were calling really loudly today here and at Pitt Town Lagoon
where they were chasing each other to our delight. I was also lucky to see
Little Grassbird clearly as it flitted from one clump of Phragmites to the
next; my second tick for the day. Also at Pitt Town Lagoon was a group of
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Red-Kneed Dotterels and Black Wing Stilts.
Black-shoulder Kite and Hobby flew past. Our third stop was at Cattai NP,
which was fairly quiet, but we saw a group of Little and Long-billed
Corellas, Olive-backed Oriole and Rufous Whistler as well as the more
common species.  My third tick for the day was Bassian Thrush, at Mitchell
Park, soon after we commenced walking along the lower rainforest track
(tide was out).  There were heaps of brown gerygones calling as well as a
white-throated tree creeper which we couldn't spot.  Dollar Bird, Rufous &
Golden Whistler, Eastern Spinebill, Lewin's Honeyeater, and a Common
Bronzewing finished off the day.
Cheers
Chris
--