birding-aus

Alice Springs snipe ID

Subject: Alice Springs snipe ID
From: Chris Watson <>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:37:51 +0930
G'day again,

Got called over to the sewage ponds this morning by some friends who had
found a very cooperative snipe (*Gallinago* sp.). I managed to get some
pretty average photos, but was hoping that someone out there might be
interested in having a stab at an ID to species level.

We get *Gallinago* sp. fairly regularly most years here in Alice Springs,
and I think it is assumed that we mostly get Latham's (*G.* *hardwickii*).
I don't know if this assumption is based on any positive IDs that have been
made over the years, but considering some of the other vagrants that have
turned up in Alice Springs in the past, it is easily conceivable that we
might get other species as well. It'd be a pity if we missed one!

Anyway, I have virtually no experience with these species so it'd be good
if anyone was interested to have a look at the pics on the blog;
http://comebirdwatching.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/snipe-at-poo-ponds-but-which-one.html

Cheers,

Chris Watson

--