birding-aus

Family Trip Report - Sydney & Hunter Valley

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Family Trip Report - Sydney & Hunter Valley
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:14:27 +1100

Another family trip, this time to Sydney and my in-laws property in the
Hunter Valley. Nothing totally unexpected but 158 species seen with 36 species
added to my annual list. Some of the spring migrants had returned but a few I
was counting on (Brush Cuckoo, Cicadabird) appeared to not have returned yet –
these will probably not make my annual list this year as I suspect I won’t be
heading east for an extended period again this year. Below is a daily account
and a list of species.

26/9 – Drove (with two boys) from Mildura to Yass, with stops in Balranald
(briefly), Hay and Wagga Wagga. Four Regent Parrots west of Euston and two
Superb Parrots at Tubbo Station were probably the highlights, with a single
Spotted Harrier on the Hay Plain another good sighting. At the motel in Yass, a
resident was providing feed with a few Rainbow and one Musk Lorikeet present at
the feeder.

27/9 – Drove from Yass to Pennant Hills (northern Sydney) with the only
Peregrine Falcon, Chestnut Teal and Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo of the trip
seen
at different points along the freeway. Walked in Lane Cove National Park and
saw the usual woodland species with Red-whiskered Bulbul the main target. A
single Dollarbird perched on wires had probably arrived that day.

28/9 – A trip into Redfern to see a dinosaur show didn’t leave much
time for birding but Pacific Koels were heard at both Pennant Hills and
Redfern. In the afternoon we drove to my in-laws property at Paynes Crossing,
half way between Wollombi and Broke on Wollombi Brook in the southern Hunter
Valley where we were based for the next five days.

29/9 – A strong north westerly blew most of the day so wasn’t great (or
safe) for birding. Bee-eaters had already returned and the other highlights
were a pair of Brown Quail and calling White-throated Nightjar in the evening
(the
only night I heard them).

30/9 – Better weather and more species added, best bird was probably Striped
Honeyeater which have only been present at the property (as far as I can tell)
for the last couple of years. A drive in Broke to watch the NRL Grand Final
added a few waterbirds including the only Black-winged Stilt of the trip.

1/10 – Spent the day on the property and the first Leaden Flycatcher
arrived and then seemed to keep going. Other good birds seen were
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (my first record for the area), Varied Sittella and
Bassian Thrush.

2/10 – White-naped Honeyeater was the only species added on Paynes
Crossing, but a tip to Pokolbin for wineries and lunch added Sacred Kingfisher
(in Broke) and the only Australian Hobby of the trip. In the end didn’t get to
Ash Island, but thanks to those who responded to my RFI so quickly while I was
away.

3/10 – The last full day at Paynes Crossing and no new species added
for the trip. I was hoping that some of the spring migrants would have arrived
by now, but was not to be. The only other regular species I failed to find was
Buff-rumped Thornbill, and I hoped to jag a late robin, but these had all
departed.

4/10 – Left early to head first to the Central Coast to visit my
grandmother and then back to Sydney. Bell Miners were calling near Wollombi
(the resident flock on Paynes Crossing appears to have moved on), Australasian
Figbirds at Ettalong while the kids had a swim were a bonus (Mallards less so)
and the resident Brush-turkeys (including active mound) were at my Nana’s at
Pearl Beach (though the Glossy Black-cockatoos weren’t about this time). In the
evening headed back to Pennant Hills.

5/10 – Spent the day travelling to the city, catching up with some
friends and visiting the Australian Museum, so not much chance for birding and
no new species added.

6/10 – A quick walk in Lane Cove NP added White-cheeked Honeyeater, but
the rest of the day was spent visiting ‘The Shire’ for a friend’s 40th.
Was hoping to get down to Cronulla beforehand, but the weather wasn’t suitable
so didn’t add any coastal seabirds.

7/10 – A BBQ lunch at Bobbin Head added Rock Warbler, more
White-cheeked Honeyeaters (in mangroves) and surprisingly a small flock of
White-browed Woodswallows overhead.

8/10 – The first day of the return journey, driving from Sydney to Hay,
with stops at Goulburn and Wagga Wagga. A few species added including both
Songlarks and European Goldfinch.

9/10 – A short drive from Hay to Mildura with a short break in the park
at Balranald. Added seven species on the last morning, with Royal Spoonbill a
bonus, Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo always nice and thankfully a couple of
Australian Pipits on the Hay Plain.
Cheers,Peter

The following list uses my dodgy list with the codes as follows *
Addition to annual list, 1 Only seen on one day this trip, PX seen
at Paynes Crossing, and the date referring to the first date seen. Note are
added for spring migrants (though very few likely to be arrival dates) and for
all species listed as threatened in NSW.

1.
Emu             26/9

2.
Australian Brush-turkey*   4/10

3.
Brown Quail*1  PX    29/9

4.
Black Swan                26/9

5.
Australian Wood Duck         26/9

6.
Mallard1     4/10

7.
Pacific Black Duck   26/9

8.
Grey Teal PX            26/9

9.
Chestnut Teal1        27/9

10.
Hardhead  30/9

11.
Australasian Grebe               26/9

12.
Australian White Ibis            26/9

13.
Straw-necked Ibis  30/9

14.
Royal Spoonbill*1   9/10       In
a roadside pond on the Hay Plain with the following species.

15.
Yellow-billed Spoonbill        26/9

16.
Cattle Egret*            26/9

17.
White-necked Heron PX     26/9

18.
Great Egret               26/9

19.
White-faced Heron PX         26/9

20.
Australian Pelican PX            26/9

21.
Little Pied Cormorant PX     26/9

22.
Little Black Cormorant PX   30/9

23.
Great Cormorant PX             26/9

24.
Australian Kestrel PX            26/9

25.
Australian Hobby1  2/10

26.
Brown Falcon           26/9

27.
Peregrine Falcon1  27/9

28.
Black-shouldered Kite PX   26/9

29.
Black Kite   26/9

30.
Whistling Kite          26/9

31.
Spotted Harrier1     26/9       At
the junction of Maude Road and Sturt Highway on the Hay Plain.

32.
Brown Goshawk     8/10       Tried my hardest to turn this bird
soaring over the M2 into a Pacific Baza!

33.
Wedge-tailed Eagle PX        8/10

34.
Purple Swamphen1               30/9

35.
Dusky Moorhen     28/9

36.
Eurasian Coot          30/9

37.
Black-winged Stilt1 30/9

38.
Masked Lapwing PX              26/9

39.
Silver Gull  28/9

40.
Rock Dove 26/9

41.
Spotted Turtle-dove             26/9

42.
Common Bronzewing PX    26/9

43.
Crested Pigeon PX 26/9

44.
Wonga Pigeon* PX                29/9

45.
Bar-shouldered Dove* PX  30/9

46.
Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo*1        27/9

47.
Gang-gang Cockatoo PX      27/9       A pair flew
across the Hume Highway near Berrima and another was heard at Paynes Crossing.

48.
Galah          26/9

49.
Little Corella             26/9

50.
Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo1               9/10       At least one bird in a
flock of cockatoos feeding in wheat
near the western edge of the Hay Plain.

51.
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo PX           26/9

52.
Cockatiel1  26/9

53.
Rainbow Lorikeet   26/9

54.
Musk Lorikeet         26/9

55.
Australian Ringneck1             26/9

56.
Crimson Rosella      26/9       Both Yellow and Crimson races seen.

57.
Eastern Rosella PX 26/9

58.
Blue Bonnet             26/9

59.
Red-rumped Parrot              26/9

60.
Mulga Parrot1          9/10

61.
Australian King Parrot PX    27/9

62.
Regent Parrot1        26/9       Four flew
across the Sturt Highway just west of Euston.

63.
Superb Parrot          26/9       Three sightings along the Sturt Highway –
2 at Tubbo Station on 26/9, 4 near Forest Hill (Wagga) on 8/10 and 1 at
Gillenbah on the same day.

64.
Fan-tailed Cuckoo* PX         27/9

65.
Horsfield’s Bronze-cuckoo PX           30/9       At
least three birds seen at Paynes Crossing.

66.
Shining Bronze-cuckoo* PX               29/9       Heard
a number of times at Paynes Crossing.

67.
Pacific Koel* PX      28/9       First heard at Pennant Hills and later near
Redfern Station on the same day. Called at Paynes Crossing only on the 4/10 and
common in Ettalong the same day.

68.
Channel-billed Cuckoo* PX                30/9       Heard
late in the evening and again the next morning – 3 seen at Paynes Crossing on
4/10 and first heard at Pennant Hills on 8/10.

69.
Barn Owl1  26/9       Roadkills only.

70.
Southern Boobook PX         27/9

71.
White-throated Nightjar*1 PX          29/9       Surprisingly,
only heard the one night at Paynes Crossing.

72.
Dollarbird*                PX           27/9       One
seen at Pennant Hills in the evening and one heard at Paynes Crossing only on
1/10 (passing through?).

73.
Laughing Kookaburra PX     26/9

74.
Sacred Kingfisher PX             2/10       One seen
on powerlines at Broke, then heard the next day at Paynes Crossing. Another
seen at Wagga Wagga on 8/10.

75.
Rainbow Bee-eater PX        29/9       Probably
arrived at Paynes Crossing before we did?

76.
Superb Lyrebird* PX             29/9

77.
White-throated Treecreeper PX     27/9

78.
Variegated Fairy-wren PX  27/9

79.
Superb Fairy-wren PX          26/9

80.
White-winged Fairy-wren1                9/10

81.
Spotted Pardalote PX           27/9

82.
Striated Pardalote PX           29/9

83.
Rock Warbler*1       7/10

84.
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren*1 PX               1/10       A new species for my
list at Paynes Crossing with three birds
(probably a pair and a young bird) seen on an afternoon walk.

85.
Speckled Warbler* PX         29/9       Common at
Paynes Crossing with at least 4 pairs recorded.

86.
White-browed Scrubwren PX           27/9

87.
Brown Gerygone* 27/9

88.
White-throated Gerygone* PX        29/9       Heard
every day at Paynes Crossing.

89.
Brown Thornbill* PX             27/9

90.
Yellow-rumped Thornbill PX              26/9

91.
Yellow Thornbill PX                29/9

92.
Striated Thornbill* PX          27/9

93.
Yellow-faced Honeyeater PX            27/9

94.
Singing Honeyeater1             9/10

95.
White-eared Honeyeater PX            1/10

96.
Yellow-tufted Honeyeater* PX        29/9

97.
Yellow-plumed Honeyeater1            9/10

98.
White-plumed Honeyeater               26/9

99.
Lewin’s Honeyeater* PX    30/9

100.
Bell Miner*               4/10

101.
Noisy Miner PX       26/9

102.
Yellow-throated Miner        26/9

103.
Blue-faced Honeyeater PX                26/9

104.
Brown-headed Honeyeater PX        30/9

105.
White-naped Honeyeater*1 PX       2/10

106.
Little Friarbird1        8/10

107.
Noisy Friarbird PX  26/9

108.
Striped Honeyeater PX        30/9

109.
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater              26/9

110.
Little Wattlebird*   27/9

111.
Red Wattlebird       26/9

112.
New Holland Honeyeater   27/9

113.
White-cheeked Honeyeater*          6/10

114.
Eastern Spinebill     27/9

115.
Eastern Yellow Robin PX     27/9

116.
Jacky Winter PX      29/9

117.
Grey-crowned Babbler PX 30/9       At least one group
(of three birds) present at Paynes Crossing.

118.
Eastern Whipbird* PX          27/9

119.
Varied Sittella1 PX  1/10       One
group only seen at Paynes Crossing.

120.
Golden Whistler PX               27/9

121.
Rufous Whistler PX               29/9

122.
Great Shrike-thrush PX       29/9

123.
Grey Fantail PX       27/9

124.
Willie Wagtail PX     26/9

125.
Magpie-lark PX       26/9

126.
Leaden Flycatcher* PX        1/10       Heard on two
occasions at Paynes Crossing (1 & 3/10) and in the mangroves at Bobbin Head
(7/10)

127.
Grey Butcherbird PX             27/9

128.
Pied Butcherbird PX              26/9

129.
Australian Magpie PX           26/9

130.
Pied Currawong PX               27/9

131.
White-breasted Woodswallow        26/9       Only
in Mildura.

132.
White-browed Woodswallow1         7/10       A
flock of about 20 at Bobbin Head!

133.
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike PX          26/9

134.
Australasian Figbird*1          4/10

135.
Olive-backed Oriole* PX     30/9

136.
Australian Raven    26/9

137.
Little Raven              26/9

138.
White-winged Chough PX  26/9

139.
Apostlebird              26/9

140.
Satin Bowerbird* PX             30/9

141.
Bassian Thrush* PX               1/10

142.
Eurasian Blackbird  26/9

143.
Common Starling   26/9

144.
Common Myna PX                27/9

145.
Welcome Swallow PX           26/9

146.
Fairy Martin              26/9       On the Hay Plain (have been back a while
though).

147.
Tree Martin PX        30/9

148.
Red-whiskered Bulbul*1     27/9

149.
Silvereye PX             27/9

150.
Australian Reed-warbler1   8/10

151.
Rufous Songlark1    8/10       Calling
in Wagga Wagga (but have been back a while).

152.
Brown Songlark      8/10

153.
Mistletoebird PX    30/9