birding-aus

Black-winged Monarch & Cassowary news

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Black-winged Monarch & Cassowary news
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:39:04 +1000
Found a nice Black-winged Monarch today Oct 9  with my Field Guides Inc group
at Bridge 4 along Black Mt. Road, Kuranda, perhaps the most southerly sighting
ever? I  heard a Black-faced  Monarch type call then a harsh disyllabic note
which sounded odd, so i squeaked it in and was immediately struck by the pale
lavender grey head and mantle, a black edging to the bend of he wing, and
blackish wings contrasting well with the pale body. It also responded well to
tape of Black-faced Monarch, and there was second monarch sp. associating with
it which i never saw properly. Worth a look if you are in the area.

Other great news was the long overdue return of our male Cassowary, absent
since mid-July on his nesting attempt, and with 3 tiny stripy chicks. The nest
that contained the 10 eggs came to nothing, it looks as if pigs got into them
as they were scattered and broken up in mid September, but he clearly nested
elsewhere and we have to wonder if the 10-egg site was some kind of egg dump?
Sure seems a hell of a waste of the female resources, but who knows?
Phil Gregory

Website 2: Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au