birding-aus

Help with Hooded Parrots....

To: <>, <>
Subject: Help with Hooded Parrots....
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:33:49 +1030
Hi Kirri, Apart from all sites in & around Pine Creek already mentioned by
others, I have had very good success along Edith Falls Rd, especially from the
well known site 5kms east of the hwy & then for about another 5kms east towards
the falls.  Early morning is best, esp at the 5km site, as Gouldian Finch come
in to drink there on most days (certainly everyday that I've been there from
sunrise). This site would be one of the best "sit & wait" spots that I've ever
experienced, for both species diversity & bird numbers, with quite amazing
sightings in the very late dry (ie late Oct-Nov). One early morning there in
very late Oct 2008, I had no fewer than 25 Hoodeds & 100 Gouldians come in to
drink within 20mtrs of where I sat quietly... I know it is not late October
yet, but I've been there at times when water levels are not low (ie last visit
in late April this year still had both these iconic species there, although in
much much lower numbers...). I hope this helps you out anyway... Martin
Cachard,  Cairns,   0428 782 808