birding-aus

Tropical fish off Tasmania - What effect on pelagic bird species?

To: Ian May <>
Subject: Tropical fish off Tasmania - What effect on pelagic bird species?
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:41:10 +1000
Hi Ian,

I have to disagree.  The Institute of Marine and Antarctic Studies at UTas
has been doing a lot of research on this topic, and have demonstrated a
number of biological and physical changes, including strengthening of the
EAC and extending ranges of usually more Northerly fish and plankton.
 Prof. Gustaaf Hallegraeff has done extensive work documenting the
increasing range of plankton blooms in Tasmania over recent years.  IMAS
have also demonstrated that the recent establishment of the invasive sea
urchin (*Centrostephanus* rodgersii) is a consequence of rising
temperatures (and over fishing of rock lobster) because in the past it
would die over winter because the water was too cold, but in the last few
decades temperatures have risen enough for it survive all year round.  The
news story is confusing in its discussion of Redmap.  The CSIRO has
produced a report which has no connection to RedMap, but is based on
decades of scientific surveys.  The ABC interviewed Dr. Gretta Pecl (who
works for IMAS and runs Redmap) and her observations from Redmap are
supported by the independent CSIRO observations.  The anecdotal
observations from farmers are not the same as the rigorous biological
surveys carried out by IMAS and the CSIRO, which have come to the same
conclusion on this issue.

Regards,

Jeremy O'Wheel