birding-aus

Atherton Tableland Sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Atherton Tableland Sightings
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 20:15:07 +1000
Greetings,
On a cloudy day the Chowchillas refused to call. Many of the Whipbirds have
reduced their calling so may be breeding.

There was enough sunshine early for the nectar to flow and the honeyeaters to
be out in force at Lake Barrine. Horn-billed Friarbird was the only likely
contender not in attendance.

Flock of about 2 000 Tree Martins near the corner of East Barron and Cook
Roads. There may have been more as the group was very spread out making
estimation difficult. This is near where I saw a larger flock recently but they
have not been there daily as I have passed that way a few times.

Eight green Satin Bowerbirds at Mt Hypipamee may indicate that they think
winter is coming to an end but it certainly didn't feel like it to me.

Fernwren carrying nesting material not able to be tracked near Mt Hypipamee.

Golden Bowerbirds working well on their bowers and Victoria's Riflebirds
displaying continues.

Wompoo Fruitdoves on nest at Curtain Figtree.

A Barn Owl death in the yard was not one of our nesting birds which gives rise
to mixed emotions.

Two of the strange juvenile plumaged Spotted Harriers seen today, may have been
siblings. I have not been watching the nest. These birds look unlike most
illustrations. One has a distinct white rump. Both very pale except for the
face disk markings. Barring on wings and tail visible in good light. A good day
for Harrier sightings with both sexes of each species and young as well.

Regards,
Alan