birding-aus

Skua vs Jaeger

To: "" <>
Subject: Skua vs Jaeger
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:36:40 +0800
I grew up on a Scottish island calling all Stercorariidae 'Skua'- a fine old
Norse name for these equally fine birds. Its also the Scots Gaelic name for the
birds. Only later did I hear that those quaint Americans called them 'jaegers'-
an old german name I'm told, although given Germany's near landlocked nature
I'm not sure how that name came to be.
Now I read Aussies using the two names to refer to two types of Stercorarid.
Sorry, but they will all always be Skua to me! Or maybe we should dump common
names altogether as they result in so much hot air and confusion...
Cheers.
Mark Carter (who is looking forward to seeing lots of SKUA on the Albany
pelagic this weekend!)
www.desertlife.com.au
(by iPhone)