birding-aus

Pelagic off Port Fairy 22 July 2012

To: <>
Subject: Pelagic off Port Fairy 22 July 2012
From: "Neil Macumber & Alison Bainbridge" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:08:57 +1000
Birdswing Birding & Wildlife Tours Pelagic trip off Port Fairy, Victoria
Sunday 22nd July 2012

Observers: Neil Macumber (organiser & report writer), Scott Baker, Peter
Barrand, Ken Bridgewater, Dougald Frederick, Murray Grant, Samantha
Greiner, Hagai Loyewski, Jill McFarlane, Helen O'Donnell,  Steve Powell,
Don Saunders and Tom Wheller

Conditions: Early 90% cloud cover, afternoon sunny and about 65% cloud
cover. Large swell between 3 and 5 metres with quite a distance between
waves

Overview: Left the Port Fairy wharf at 0735 EST along the Moyne River out
to sea heading at 209˚.  Saw our first sea bird - Silver Gull in the
river.  Out of the river mouth crested terns were the most common bird.
The most abundant species seen for the trip was albatross with good numbers
of White-capped (Shy) Albatross.  Travelling out to our first stop we saw
reasonable numbers of Australasian Gannet, and one possible Grey-headed
Albatross seen briefly.

Our first stop was at 1035 EST (141 fathoms) where we saw 50 Albatross
mostly White-capped (Shy) Albatross, 1 Northern Giant Petrel, 2 Fairy
Prion, 1 Black-browed Albatross, 2 Yellow-nosed Albatross and 1 Buller’s
Albatross, 1 Crested Tern and 1 Great-Winged Petrel.

By the time we got to our second stop 1255 EST (107-115 fathoms) it was
sunny and warm.  We saw 32 White-capped (Shy) Albatross, 1 Black-browed
Albatross, 2 Yellow-nosed Albatross, 2 Fairy Prion, 8 Great-Winged Petrels,
2 Australasian Gannet and 15 Crested Terns.

At 1615 EST we saw 6 terns (1 common tern and 5 possible commons or white-
fronted terns) whilst travelling home approximately opposite the water
tower prior to entering the Moyne River.

We docked at 1630 hours, a good day enjoyed by all.

Birds: 33 species of birds with 14 species off shore

Pelagic Species: - Little Penguin, White-capped (Shy)Albatross, Black-
browed Albatross, Yellow-nosed Albatross, Buller's Albatross, Northern
Giant Petrel, Fairy Prion, Great-Winged Petrel, Fluttering Shearwater,
Sooty Shearwater, Australasian Gannet, Silver Gull, Crested Tern, Common
Tern,

Species seen in the River Moyne: - Black-faced Shag, Kelp Gull, Masked
Lapwing, Pied Oystercatcher, Sooty Oystercatcher, Hooded Plover, Great
Egret, Little Egret, White faced Heron, Little Black Cormorant, Little Pied
Cormorant, Welcome Swallow, Red Wattlebird, Singing Honeyeater, Little
Raven, Willy Wagtail, Magpie Lark, European Starling, Blackbird

Mammals: Three Australian Fur Seals.

Proposed Dates for remainder of 2012 Trips: Sunday 19th August, Saturday
15th & Sunday 16th September, Sunday 28th October, Sunday 18th November and
Sunday 2nd December.  Trips will go if there are enough numbers and the
weather is suitable.  There are plenty of spaces available at the moment
for all trips. First in gets a spot allocated.  See our website for more
details  <http://www.birdingwildlifetours.com.au/>
http://www.birdingwildlifetours.com.au/

Cheers

Neil Macumber