birding-aus

Restless Flycatcher at Brisbane Forest Park

To: <>
Subject: Restless Flycatcher at Brisbane Forest Park
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 06:15:11 +0000
Hi All,

Not long back from a walk on the Araucaria Trail - Walkabout Creek Visitor
Centre, Brisbane Forest Park.  We could hear the Restless Flycatcher calling
(got a nice recording of the scissor grinding call) but it remained well
hidden.  Eventually got onto it high up in the trees. What struck us was how
different this bird was behaving to other Restless Flycatchers we have seen in
Victoria and NSW.  Down south I can't remember ever having seen them up high -
much more likely to sit on fence posts or low branches.  Anyway, nice to see an
uncommon bird it this part of the country.

Also had great views of two Pacific Bazas flying quite low over the lake; a
small flock of Little Lorikeets; a Rose Robin and a single Eastern Spinebill
along with the usual suspects seen in that patch - heaps of Scarlet Myzomelas,
White-throated, White-naped and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters.

On top of the ridges there were HEAPS of fresh buttonquail platelets - the most
we have ever seen.  Unfortunately, no cooperative Painted or Black-breasted BQs
this time.

Regards

Judith