birding-aus

hunting in national parks, NSW and Qld

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: hunting in national parks, NSW and Qld
From: Jim Smart <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 13:21:05 +1000
Hello John, Dave and Birding-Aus people,

The NSW Parliament is currently holding an Inquiry into the Management of
Public Land in NSW.

See:http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/18b4c6b001e0d367ca2579e9000215c2/$FILE/ATTVTHSX.pdf/Terms%20of%20reference.pdf <http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/18b4c6b001e0d367ca2579e9000215c2/$FILE/ATTVTHSX.pdf/Terms%20of%20reference.pdf>

The Committee is chaired by a member of the Shooters Party and has terms of
reference biased
against conservation values. For example Term of Reference 3 states:

3. Examination of models for the management of public land, including models that provide for conservation outcomes which utilise the principles of "sustainable use".

This could cover a multitude of activities in addition to so called "conservation
hunting".
The Shooters have been pushing for "Game Parks". We could,for example, see
deliberate
release of a range of exotic animals into our National Parks for commercial
hunting.

If we birders value National Parks based on conservation we need to let our
views be known
to this committee. The Shooters will certainly be drumming up many submissions
for their
point of view.

Submissions to this Committee must be made by August 1. They can be made online
at:

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/18B4C6B001E0D367CA2579E9000215C2 <http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/18B4C6B001E0D367CA2579E9000215C2>

Cheers,

Jim Smart