birding-aus

Black Grasswrens :D

To: "" <>
Subject: Black Grasswrens :D
From: Savannah Hardy <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 05:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hi there,
I recently just read of two different people/groups on birding-aus that are
going in search of Black Grasswrens very soon (would LOVE to join you..but
can't)
I went to Mitchell Plateau 2 years ago roughly and managed to see 2 Black
Grasswrens together,  on my own...i'm not saying it was easy either..
I managed some pathetic photos of one.
If you can survive the drive up the corrugated dirt road (which was an
adventure, didn't wreck our shocks on the car which was amazing in itself,
rough but sooo worth it), then you deserve to see the Black Grass wren. It was
the highlight of my birding moments and only lasted for 30 seconds. I waited
for an hour and a half before it appeared hopping across the rocks...
Not sure if its the right thing to do, but...if you want a point in the right
direction of where i saw them, let me know at the following email address and
i'll reply to you

Email :

The groups going have probably seen the black grasswren already and the species
that i'll mention below, but i thought i'd just share my experience...
The Partridge pigeon (race blaauwi) were pretty easy to find, they were
wandering around the toilet block area  x15 of them at the mitchell falls camp
ground (can't remember what time of year i was there?)
Sandstone shrike thrush was easy to find, as was the white quilled rock pigeon
...you'll find these if you wander amongst the rocky areas on the mitchell
falls walk.....
Apparently Surveyors Pool is another great spot for Black Grasswren :D (i
didn't get to that place)

Goodluck out there...i hope you find them and photograph them :D

Someday i'll go back and get a better photo...

Regards
Kirri :D