birding-aus

berries and window strikes

Subject: berries and window strikes
From: "Jim Tate" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:22:00 -0700
We gave our talk on bird/window strikes and green roofs yesterday to a group of architects here in Brisbane.  One of the comments by a member of the audience causes me to write to you with a question.

While it is apparently the case that you do not have the vast number of migrant birds dying from window collisions like we do in the US (about one Billion each year), it appears that you still have a local problem with birds hitting windows.  The audience member suggested one of your common occurrences was lorikeets becoming inebriated on spoiled fruit and becoming victim to traffic and windows.  Do you really have regular occurrences of tipsy birds, or is it just once in a while?  And, if so, has it been shown to be alcohol or are there intoxicating compounds in the berries?

In the US we have Cedar Waxwings  and American Robins feeding on fruits (ex. Pyrocantha) and acting as if under the influence and dying along roadways.  But, it is not necessarily alcohol, but may be compounds in the berries.         -TATE

James Tate, Jr., Ph.D. | Research Associate |
Smithsonian Institution Migratory Bird Center |
National Zoological Park |
T 202-841-2056 | Email

James Tate, Jr. | Senior Fellow and Director |
Ecological Economics and Ethics Program |
Potomac Institute for Policy Studies |
Ballston Metro Center Office Tower |
901 N. Stuart Street, Suite 200, Arlington, VA 22203
Washington, DC 20007
T 202-841-2056| Email: m("potomacinstitute.org","jtate");">

James Tate, Jr. | First Vice President
Eastern Bird Banding Association.
Email: m("tate-tate.us","jim");">

James Tate, Jr., | Treasurer
Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chapter
Izaak Walton League of America

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers