birding-aus

Bush Stone-curlew attacked by bogan archer in suburban Brisbane

To: Chris Watson <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bush Stone-curlew attacked by bogan archer in suburban Brisbane
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 16:31:08 +0930
Many Australians don't empathise with Australian wildlife let alone other
creatures, one reason why the sort of attack Chris mentions occurs.

Here I'd like to mention the annual effect of Territory Day (July 1st) on a
block of native bush in our suburb.  Last year the block was burnt out - we
found the remains of fireworks over a metre long.  This year firework fans
set fire to the block again, and last night we found a pair of distressed
Bush Stone-curlews running frantically around.  Obviously they weren't
cooked, but I suspect their young have been.

Denise
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street,
Bakewell, NT 0832
043 8650 835

PhD candidate, SCU
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia
Nominated for the Condé Nast international ecotourism award, 2004 by the
renowned American website, Earthfoot.

Birds of Australia's Top End and Quiet Snake Dreaming available on
amazon.com

'It gave me huge insight into the lives' of Aboriginal Australians¹,
 Jonathon Franzen, American author, birder, conservationist (August, 2011)
on Quiet Snake Dreaming.

www.denisegoodfellow.com