birding-aus

RFI: Western NSW

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI: Western NSW
From: Ashwin Rudder <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 23:04:55 +1000
Hi all,
I'm spending some time out in western NSW over the next couple of weeks,
and was hoping to get some information on a number of locations and
species. I've already spent a fair while trawling the archives, which has
been great, but was wondering a bit about:
Mungo NP: I have a day there, and I can't find any recent info on it. Can
anyone share some good spots within it, particularly for species such as
Redthroat.
Broken Hill: I've looked at Umberumberka Reserve and Living Desert Reserve,
particularly with regards to Rufous Fieldwren, which I am eager to try for.
Are there any general tips that would help find them?
Sturt NP: Given the park's size and variety of habitats, are there any
areas that are particularly productive in others' experience. In
particular, I'm hoping to see Spotted Nightjar, Inland Dotterel, Cinnamon
Quailthrush, Banded Whiteface, Red-browed Pardalote, Black and Pied
Honeyeater, and Gibberbird.
Nocholeche NR: I can find almost no info on this place. Has anyone been
there, and can anyone tell me anything about it?
Gundabooka NP: My targets here are Chestnut-breasted Quailthrush and
White-browed Treecreeper, and if anyone could point me towards locations
for these two species, it'd be much appreciated.

And lastly a couple of species requests:
Banded Stilt: has anyone seen them in NSW at all, recently, and if so,
where?
Grey Grasswren: I've spoken to the land owner at Adelaide Gate, and
apparently access is still cut. Does anyone know any other reliable sites
in NSW?
Bourkes Parrot: this is one of my primary targets, and some tips on finding
it would be really appreciated.
Superb Parrot: I'll be passing through the Nyngan area on my way back, and
am eager to try for this species. Is it really just a matter of driving
roads early in the morning and looking for them flushing?

This is my first trip out west, hence the very extensive wish list... Any
help would be great! :-)
Feel free to contact me either on Birding-Aus or offline.

Cheers,
Ashwin