birding-aus

NZ trip

Subject: NZ trip
From: David Billinghurst <>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 17:32:35 +1000
On 2/07/2012 4:13 PM, Susan Knowles wrote:
We are planning a trip to the southern half of the South Island of NZ next February and would appreciate any advice.

I have only birded around Invercargill while travelling with work. I found the book "Where to watch birds in New Zealand" by Kathy Ombler useful.

I really enjoyed a short stay on Stewart Island (http://www.stewartisland.co.nz/), and in particular a guided walk around Ulva Island - I went with Ulva (http://www.ulva.co.nz/). I wish I had been able to get out on a kiwi spotting trip while I was there (http://www.kiwispotting.co.nz/) but schedule didn't allow.

I have stayed with Ian and Kathy Gamble a few minutes out of Invercargill - www.fernbirds.co.nz - or you can drop by their place and walk the nature trail looking for fern birds.