birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 2 Jul 2012 01:31:05 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 1 Jul 2012.

Thu 28 Jun Grey Falcon Pyramid Station 27km from hwy towards MIllstream NP, Western Australia
Single adult harassing Spotted Harrier giving flight views for two minutes up close. The adult Grey Falcon had pale ash grey upperparts the distinctive smoke grey. Blackish whisker stripe, reduced black trailing edge to primaries on underwing, underwing coverts pale. Feet orangeish. Thought to be a female based on size and body mass relative to Spotted Harrier.
Dion Hobcroft

Grey Falcon Alice Springs, Northern Territory
Perched Grey Falcon sighted approximately 10km N of Alice Springs on highway and 1km N of James Orr Bridge. Bird flew from low tree when vehicle reversed, circled to W and crossed back to E over vehicle at approximately 10m altitude. Pursued due E and found in tree. Clear views. Bird appeared young with much paler beak and cere and darker crown. Disturbed by helicopter before photo obtained. Clear view of yellow legs and trousers
Jean and Paul Newman

Tue 19 Jun Black Grasswren Mitchell River National Park, Western Australia

Greg Roberts & Alexander Watson

Sat 16 Jun Grey Falcon Newhaven, eastern Dunes track, Northern Territory
Two Grey Falcon circled above the car and moved steadily to the west away from the Dunes Track at 1330. The day was calm and clear.
Jenny Spry

Mon 11 Jun Black-winged Monarch, Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo McIvor River causeway, north of Cooktown, Queensland
In an effort to establish what is known about Black-winged Monarch in Australia, I have been studying this species here at my study-site sparodically since 2005, with 4 visits there this year alone. On my first mid-winter visit this year, I noted that this species here is obvious in it's absence of calls - contrary to the warmer months when it's calls are a feature of the immediate area. This species is documented as being a migrant that returns to NG for the cooler months. You can imagine my surprise when I had an adult Black-winged Monarch flying over the rd, just above head-height at 9:30am on Monday 11/06. Not one individual called for the duration of my visit - maybe more birds are there, living quietly...?! A species that was very vocal during this winter visit was Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo, continuing from it's noisy advertisements throughout the warmer months at this site & nearby. I've attached a rough image I took of an adult calling some 40mtrs above me - clearly showing the diagnostic tail pattern which distinguishes this species from the larger but otherwise very similarly plumaged Fan-tailed Cuckoo. There were at least 4 Chestnut-breasted Cuckoos calling at the causeway with many more in the general area. Good birding was had with many species quieter than usual but nevertheless still there.
Martin Cachard

Grey Falcon Heath Rd, Alice Springs, Northern Territory
5.30pm this afternoon a Grey falcon was observed in pursuit of a Black Faced Woodswallow just above the treeline in the CSIRO block along Heath Rd. It failed in the attack and flew off towards the Todd River, flying directly over the top of "Pathdorf ", a Bed and Breakfast at the end of Heath Rd.
Shane Green

Grey Falcon Emily Gap, East MacDonnell Ranges, Northern Territory
Seen high on ridge top above waterhole perched in small tree, before taking to the air and soaring east.
Shane Green

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.