IOU List 3.1
Frank O'Connor <>
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:06:49 +0800
I have just been comparing the new IOU V3.1 Checklist
(http://worldbirdnames.org) with the list on Tony Palliser's web site
1. They have reversed the decision on Powerful Boobook, Rufous
Boobook, etc. They are back to Powerful Owl, Rufous Owl, etc.
2. The Variable Goshawk (ssp. natalis) from Christmas Island has been
put back in with Brown Goshawk.
3. The genus of the songlarks and Spinifexbird have been changed to
Megalurus (some as the grassbirds). The order is now strange. Rufous
Songlark, Tawny Grassbird, Brown Songlark, Little Grassbird, Spinifexbird.
4. The genus of Black-shouldered Kite and Letter-winged Kite has been
changed to Elanus.
5. Frilled Monarch has been changed to Frill-necked Monarch (Arses lorealis).
6. Hornbill Friarbird has been split from Helmeted Friarbird on Cape
York. This has been discusses on birding-aus previously.
7. Black-banded Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus alligator) has been split from
Banded Fruit Dove.
8. Robust White-eye (Zosterops strenuus) on Lord Howe Island has been
split from Slender-billed White-eye. But it is extinct, so don't go
looking for it!
I could have missed some others.
Frank O'Connor Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
Phone : (08) 9386 5694 Email :
To unsubscribe from this mailing list,
send the message:
(in the body of the message, with no Subject line)
The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering
takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely
a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way.
If you wish to get material removed from the archive or
have other queries about the archive e-mail
Andrew Taylor at this address: