birding-aus

Osprey

To: Tom and Mandy Wilson <>,
Subject: Osprey
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 20:00:23 +1000
I enjoyed the helicopter effect when in slow motion we saw what an effort it is to rise from water carrying a large fish - wings seemed to rotate.
Wet dog effect great too.
My first Osprey sighting, circa 1958, was when one landed one a tiny rocky islet in the Whitsunday group as our boat came alongside. It stood with wings half-furled and crest raised. The boatman said "Geez, the things you see when you haven't got a gun!" When we girls asked why, he gave us to understand that as they eat fish, they would soon exterminate all fish worth catching, and the Queensland Government should give a large bounty for every 'Fish-hawk' slain.

Anthea Fleming