birding-aus

Digital recorder/playback units for use in the field

To: 'Rosemary Royle' <>, Richard Nowotny <>, 'Birding Aus' <>
Subject: Digital recorder/playback units for use in the field
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 07:16:55 +1000
I'm not sure about the devices that seem to be classified as "voice recorders",
but my research into the higher quality recorders found none that were very
good at naming tracks, most can't do it at all. They seem to be intended for
recording and downloading, and all other functions are assumed to be done on a
computer.

None of them have keyboards, so those that can rename tracks at all require you
to do it in a painstaking manner by moving a cursor around an on screen
keyboard.

Once you've got them renamed, I didn't find any that were very good at finding
the tracks again. I would have thought any smart phone these days could do a
much better job of that.

Peter Shute