birding-aus

Birding in Dryandra Woodland

To: "" <>
Subject: Birding in Dryandra Woodland
From: Deb Colbourne <>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 01:38:17 -0700 (PDT)
Just returned from a few pleasant days birding at Dryandra Woodland, staying in
one of the Lions cottages there. The weather was a bit variable but we got out
for plenty of walks. For birds, the start of the Ochre Track was the most
productive. In the first 200m we saw the western form of Crested Shrike Tit,
Red-Capped Parrot, Elegant Parrot, Blue-backed fairy-wren (also on Lol Grey
Track), Rufous Treecreeper etc. The only bird we didn't catch up with was
Little Wattlebird.
There were approx. 40 Carnaby's Black -cockatoo feeding in a paddock adjacent
to the woodland.

We weren't able to find any Numbats, the weather didn't help, but we saw one
Bettong while spotlighting, certainly not as many as were there when we visited
previously. All in all we saw well over 50 species in the few days.

The cottages are basic, clean and comfortable and we must thank John and Lisa
for their suggestions of spots to go looking for birds and mammals.

Deb and Ju