birding-aus

Stop the Amazon Chainsaw Massacre

Subject: Stop the Amazon Chainsaw Massacre
From: Colin R <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:31:15 +1000
Dear friends,

            [1][1359_Deforestation-Amazon-1024x667_3_200x100.png]
  Brazil's Congress has just passed a bill that gives loggers and
    farmers free rein to cut down huge swaths of the Amazon. Only
President Dilma can veto it. Domestic pressure is mounting, but a
 massive global outcry will prove her international reputation is
at stake. Let's tip her over the edge to stop the Amazon chainsaw
          massacre -- sign the urgent petition and tell everyone:

                      [2]Sign the petition

The Brazilian Congress has just passed a catastrophic forestry
bill that gives loggers and farmers free rein to cut down huge
swaths of the Amazon. Now only President Dilma can stop it.
Fortunately, the timing is on our side -- in weeks Dilma will
host the world’s biggest environmental summit and insiders say
she cannot afford to open it as the leader who approved the
destruction of the rainforest. She’s facing mounting domestic
pressure, with 79% of Brazilians rejecting this new bill. Now, if
we join them we can turn up the global heat and push her to axe
the bill, not the rainforest.
Dilma could make her decision any day. Let's get her to veto the
bill now. Click below to sign the urgent petition to stop the
Amazon chainsaw massacre and send this to everyone:
[3]http://www.avaaz.org/en/veto_dilma_global/?vl
The Amazon is vital to life on earth -- 20% of our oxygen comes
from this magnificent rainforest, and it plays a key role in
mitigating global climate change.  Over the last decade, Brazil
has vastly reduced deforestation rates, achieving a 78% decline
between 2004 and 2011. The reason? A world-acclaimed forestry
law, strong enforcement and satellite monitoring.
But this dangerous new bill would open up an area the size of
France and Britain combined to clear-cutting and gives loggers
amnesty for all past deforestation crimes. This would not only
spark total forest devastation in Brazil, it would also set a
bad precedent for other countries. That’s why it’s so crucial
that we all protect it.
Brazil is a rapidly developing country, battling to lift tens of
millions out of poverty. Despite evidence that growth does not
require deforestation, Dilma is under pressure from the powerful
agriculture lobby that helped her get elected to cut down
rainforest for profit. And it is an ugly battle -- activists are
being murdered, intimidated and silenced. But ex-Environmental
Ministers and people across Brazil have sent a clear message to
Dilma that they want to save the Amazon. Now, it’s up to all of
us to stand with them and urge President Dilma to remain strong.
The fate of Brazil’s rainforests is dangling by a thread. But,
with President Dilma so vulnerable to public pressure right now,
we can bring the global force of people power to get a win for
our planet! Sign the urgent petition below and tell everyone --
the petition will be delivered by Brazil’s former Environment
Ministers directly to Dilma:
[4]http://www.avaaz.org/en/veto_dilma_global/?vl
In the last three years, we have won battle after battle against
the odds. Now, let’s come together before it is too late to stop
the destruction of the Amazon, protect our planet and herald
Dilma as a true international environmental leader.
With hope and determination,
Luis, Pedro, Maria Paz, Alice, Ricken, Carol, Lisa, Rewan and the
entire Avaaz team
MORE INFORMATION:
Brazil's Congress approves controversial forest law (BBC)
[5]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17851237
Brazil Forest Code Passes In Defeat For Dilma Rousseff
(Huffington Post)
[6]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/27/brazil-forest-code_n_
1457149.html
Revised Brazilian Forest Code good for environmental criminals,
bad for forests (IB Times)
[7]http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20120501/revised-brazilian-f
orest-code-environmental-criminals-forests-common.htm
Amazon deforestation record low (BBC)
[8]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8358094.stm
Brazilians reject axing of forest protections (WWF)
[9]http://wwf.panda.org/?uNewsID=200698
[1798896590.gif]

Support the Avaaz Community!

We're entirely funded by donations and receive no money from
governments or corporations. Our dedicated team ensures even the
smallest contributions go a long way.

[10]Donate to Avaaz

Avaaz.org is a 14-million-person global campaign network that
works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people
shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in
many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world;
our team is spread across 19 countries on 6 continents and
operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest
campaigns [11]here, or follow us on [12]Facebook or [13]Twitter.
This message was sent to  To change your
email address, language, or other information, [14]contact us via
this form. To unsubscribe, send an email to
or [15]click here.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead,
write to us at [16]www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).

          Click [17]here to report this email as spam.

*********************
This email message (including any file attachments transmitted
with it) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and legally privileged information. Any
unauthorised review, use, alteration, disclosure or distribution
of this email (including any attachments) by an unintended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender by return email and destroy all
copies of the original message. Any confidential or legal
professional privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken
delivery of the email. ENERGEX accepts no responsibility for the
content of any email which is sent by an employee which is of a
personal nature.
Sender Details:
  ENERGEX
  GPO Box 1461 Brisbane QLD Australia 4001
  +61 7 3664 4000
  [18]http://www.energex.com.au
ENERGEX policy is to not send unsolicited electronic messages.
Suspected breaches of this policy can be reported by replying to
this message including the original message and the word
"UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject.