birding-aus

A press release on Bimblebox

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: A press release on Bimblebox
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 09:21:24 +1000
These comments on the finches demonstrate the classic tactics used by
anti-environmentalists the world over. Firstly over-simplify, reduce the
issue to one species, then claim that the species isn't endangered, that
there are more of them than environmentalists are letting on, or that they
are breeding elsewhere, or that they are not actually present. This doesn't
convince anyone, but it spreads enough fog that people who aren't
particularly interested have a vague impression that the environmentalists
are exaggerating. (Note similarities with climate change denialism).

Meanwhile the fact that a unique habitat important for hundreds of species,
not just Black-throated Finches, is going to be vandalised in order to
extract fossil fuels, which would already have been superseded as an energy
source if the same business lobby hadn't been so successful in muddying the
waters on on renewables too.

And so our supposedly intelligent species shambles towards extinction.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra

I want to be with the 9,999 other things.