birding-aus

Quick Darwin trip 22-23/04/12

To: birding-aus threads <>
Subject: Quick Darwin trip 22-23/04/12
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:22:06 +1030

G'day All,  Last w'end when in Darwin on a very quick trip, I travelled to the
Pine Creek area to have a quick look around - I hadn't been there since late
2008, so it was a good chance to see some birds I don't get to see every w'end
here in Cairns.   Late on 22/05 as the sun was setting, I had a great close
encounter with a lovely adult male Hooded Parrot feeding on a track next to the
Pine Creek poo-ponds - he was on his own. Many more individuals were seen along
the Edith Falls Rd to the south during the next morning, but there were many
more male birds seen there as well. Along this rd on 23/05, a total of 25 birds
were seen at a combination of 5 sites between the Stuart Hwy & the national
park boundary.  A total of at least 10 Gouldian Finches were recorded from
Edith Falls Rd at 2 sites, both very close to the site 5km east of the hwy
(this site is detailed in Niven McCrie's fantastic guide). Most were adult
birds, including 2 red-headed males. I could only be certain
 of 1 immature bird amongst these as the light was terrible. If anyone is
hoping to see these iconic species, then the Pine Creek area is fantastic for
them - I have never missed them there in several recent trips at various times
of the year.   Fogg Dam was terrific as usual, with all the expected species
showing well, including Rainbow Pittas, Barking Owl, Broad-billed Flycatchers,
Arafura Fantails & White-browed Crakes. 3 Red-backed Kingfishers were present
along Anzac Pde, near the entrance to the defence area up from the corner of
Arnhem Hwy.   Good Top End birding as expected!! I just need to get back that
way in a dry season soon to see that most elusive (for me, at least!!)
White-throated Grasswren !!!! Cheers for now, Martin Cachard  Cairns  0428 782
808