birding-aus

Victoria's Bird Emblem?

To: "'Michael Tarburton'" <>
Subject: Victoria's Bird Emblem?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:24:42 +1000
I didn't see that (I'm not in Melbourne). I hope you wrote to the Fairfax
press about this, rather than just to us. Or even to Media Watch  (ABC TV).
I have at least twice written to Media Watch about dopey things I have seen
on TV or newspapers and Media Watch has commented on the goof as the intro
story. They may bypass the honeyeater mix up, as most people would, but if
it suggested that Tasmanian Devil was one of Victoria's threatened species,
well that could get an airing on Media Watch, as that is a big dumb goof.

For what it is worth, some years ago a TV news ran a story about Regent
Honeyeater, most of which was correct but some footage slipped in was of a
New Holland Honeyeater and another one on Canberra's effort to control the
Common Myna, most of which was correct, that included, unexplained short
film of a Noisy Miner. Then there is the current ad on ABC TV for their new
zoos program that includes the most nauseous fill in of all, whilst showing
the Condor, the call of American Red-tailed Hawk that seems to feature
almost whenever any raptor is shown.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Michael
Tarburton
Sent: Wednesday, 18 April 2012 8:38 AM  To: Birding Aus Subject:
[Birding-Aus] Victoria's Bird Emblem?

OK which one of you:

misidentified the photo the Fairfax press published in their 72 page
"junk-mail" Melbourne Weekly, distribution to East Melbourne in the
last week?

Or maybe they did not ask any of you and left it up to their educated
journalists to get the correct photo to go  with the Conservation story.

Whatever the procedure, the photo is of a Regent Honeyeater, placed
next to the photo of Melbourne Zoo's executive director.

They say in this cover story that "It's as cute as a button and our
state emblem to boot ... but the Leadbeater's Possum is in danger of
extinction.  Kathryn Kernohan talks to some of the people fighting to
save Victoria's threatened species".

I did not know that the Tasmanian Devil was one of Victoria's
threatened species either.  Amazing what you can learn from the press.

Cheers

Mike