birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 9 Apr 2012 01:30:18 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Apr 2012.

Fri 6 Apr Peaceful Dove, White-bellied Sea-Eagle Uriarra, confluence of Molonglo and Murrumbidgee Rivers
Three Peaceful Doves in casuarinas on Murrumbidgee River bank. Then the same two Sea-Eagles we saw last weekend at Newline, flew over and sported around for a while.
Julian Robinson

Fan-tailed Cuckoo Shepherd's Lookout
2-3 pm. One immature and one possible adult (not fully seen). Also Peregrine, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Diamond Firetail, Scarlet Robin. Also Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration westwards over lookout; constant stream of small (10-20) parties.
John Leonard

Osprey, Spotted Harrier, Peregrine Falcon Shepherds Lookout
Sub-adult or female Osprey observed for approx 2.5 hours perched in dead casuarinas and making short flights at the confluence of the Molonglo and Murrumbidgee River. Also seen was a Spotted Harrier and great views of a Peregrine Falcon perched in a tree within 10m.
Alastair Smith, Frank Antram, Scott Ryan, Brendan Sheean and Christine D

Thu 5 Apr Osprey Confluence of Molonglo and Murrumbidgee Rivers
An immature Osprey was observed from Shepherd's Lookout perched in a burnt out Casuarina on the western bank of the Murrumbidgee at its confluence with the Molonglo. First sighted at about 1245 it quartered the pool a few times and then returned to the same perch where it remained for over an hour. The bird moved between two more perches in the same general area and was observed consuming a small fish. It was still present at 1500 when we left.
PJ Milburn

Sat 31 Mar Osprey Cotter Dam
As we were headed east across the Cotter Dam bridge we noticed a white-bellied raptor cruising just south of the bridge. We parked on the east side of the bridge and identified the bird as an osprey. It stuck around for about 5 minutes before heading west and disappearing over a ridge.
Daniel Hoops

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.