birding-aus

Preliminary RFI - Darwin & Top End for July visit

To: John Tongue <>
Subject: Preliminary RFI - Darwin & Top End for July visit
From: Alastair Smith <>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 17:51:52 +0930
Tom and Mandy,
I am currently in Darwin under the guise of navy reserve time and birding is
very hot work!

Niven Mcrie's 'Finding birds in Darwin Kakadu and the top end' is an invaluable
resource and you should try and get a copy. It has the answers to all your
questions. Incidentally I was out at Leanyer sewage works yesterday and spoke
to a birder who said that Niven has left the NT for the gold coast.

Unfortunately, the same birder said that the local community has resisted
Eremaea as it is happy with yahoo groups, so Eremaea is really only used by us
visitors. In my fortnight up here I have posted 25+ lists so this may be of
assistance in the local Darwin region.

Regards
Alastair

Sent from my iPad

On 01/04/2012, at 17:05, John Tongue <> wrote:

> Hi Tom and Mandy,
> We found
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntbirds/
> worth keeping an eye on for up-to-date sightings.  To get into Leanyer sewage
> ponds, you need to do an induction (which can be done online), and pay a
> deposit and pick up a key.  Peter Kyne, whose details can generallby be found
> on Birding-Aus, or the NT Birds blog was VERY helpful to us in getting our
> induction, and general info while we were there (January)
>
> We dipped on Great-billed Heron, had one distant look at Chestnut Rail at
> Buffalo Ck, Biggles Binns helped us get onto Arafura Fantail near Nightcliffe
> (it wasn't really the right time of year), and Swinhoes Snipe near his place
> (Humpty Doo).  Had a number of Rainbow Pitta around East Point, and one at
> Nourlangie, in Kakadu.  Had one Banded Fruit-dove there as well.  Couldn't
> get to Gunlom, or the best spots for Chestnut-quilled Rock Pigeon (Too much
> water), so dipped on those.  HAd Hooded Parrots at the Pine Creek Sewage
> works, along with Black Bittern, White-browed Crake, Buff-banded Rail, etc.
> Chestnut-backed BQ (Didn't get Red-backed anywhere), and Sandstone
> Shrike-thrush near Nourlangie.  Yellow White-eye in a few mangrove spots, but
> no White-breasted Whistler, and Mangrove Golden only at Adelaide River
> Cruises.  One Mangrove Grey Fantail behind Palmerston Sewage works.  One
> Zitting Cisticola across Sth Alligator Floodplain (along with hundreds of
> Golden-headeds every
 wh