birding-aus

Flocks - Pied Currawongs and Longbilled Corellas, Ivanhoe, Vic.

Subject: Flocks - Pied Currawongs and Longbilled Corellas, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:01:25 +1100
About 2pm today a terrific racket of Pied Currawong calls was heard in our backyard, which runs down to Darebin Creek. The birds kept flying in twos and threes into the top of our tall Sugar Gum, then a few more would join them, then some would fly south downstream. This continued for 15 minutes plus, and I had counted about twenty-five or thirty of them, until only two were left. I assume this last two were the pair which have been resident locally for a few years - I think they had been objecting to the visiting flock. While all this went on, a solitary Magpie sat in the Sugar Gum, apparently paying no attention.

At about 7.15 this evening, a flock of Corellas began to settle in our neighbours' Sugar Gums and Cypress trees. I seized binoculars and was able to pick out red markings on many faces, though light conditions were very poor in the dusk. I counted at least 60 in the visible parts of the tree-tops. There was a lot of noise and I felt the calls were more quavery and like Longbilled, rather than Little Corellas. Suddenly they all took off and flew south towards the Yarra - a perfect snowstorm of birds, definitely many hundreds of them - an amazing sight for a minute or two. Many had been perching in parts of the trees below our sight-line, down over the brow of the hill.

On recent evenings we have heard them go over, often well after dark.

I should point out that times given are Daylight Saving Time - we don't return to Eastern Standard Time here until 1st April.

Anthea Fleming