birding-aus

Tern I.D.

To: "Jeff Davies" <>, "'Chris Corben'" <>
Subject: Tern I.D.
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:37:17 +1100
Hi guys,

Firstly let me thank you all for your efforts and the interesting discussion on this Tern I.D. No wonder I was struggling to identify it just by looking in a couple of field guides! I have added three more images to the album. They were shot in RAW and I have just cropped them and saved as a maximum quality JPEG.
I looked at my images of the roosting birds but they are all Crested Terns.

I have made some measurements of the bill length compared to the bill tip to eye distance from my photos and similarly for a few on-line images of Arctic Terns and Common Terns. The results were: Arctic Tern 58-63%, Common Tern 68-73%, my Tern 72%.

My vote goes to Common Tern, but I'm happy to be corrected if the feathers tell a different story.

Regards.
Roger.

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Davies