birding-aus

RFI Bird species codes

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI Bird species codes
From: David James <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:24:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Martin,

(...following Alan Richard's reply with some overlap and some differences....)

Sorry I don't have a file to send you. I don't know of the national system you
refer to. However, I have used a four-letter acronym code for Australian birds
for about 25 years.

When I was in North America for a few years in mid 80s I learnt of a quite
formal and official 4-letter acronym code that was widely used there. It was
based on some very simple rules that related to the basic principles of bird
names. Bird names mostly have two parts, a descriptor followed by a group name,
but sometimes there is only one name. Sometimes there are two words to one or
both parts of the name. The rule divides the acronym evenly between the two
parts of the name. Hyphens are treated as spaces (i.e. hyphenated words are
treated as two words); case is ignored (some of these might be my own rules?).
If there is one word in a part of the name then the first two letters of that
word are used. If there are 2 words in a part then the first letter of each
word is used. The importance of the rules is that it should be possible to work
backwards from an unfamiliar acronym, unambiguously to a single species.

Acronyms were used in Australia at that time, but there was little consistency.
BFCS for Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike conforms to those rules from America. YFH or
YFHE for Yellow-faced Honeyeater did not conform. It would be YFHO.
Black-shouldered Kite is not BSKT (pronounced 'biscuit') but BSKI.
Mistletoebird is one word (someone decided to remove the space) so it is MIST,
Malleefowl MALL, Galah GALA, ROCK, PILO, FERN, SCRU, etc.

In 1989 (I think) I typed up all the acronyms according to the American rules
in a spreadsheet which I no longer have. It was based on the 1975 checklists
(Condon, Schodde) and the 1977 list or recommended English names, so now it
would be 2 or 3 checklists out of date. I was dismayed to find quite a lot of
problems:

Emu is EMU, not four letters, trivial these days but troubling for some
computer programs back then.

Some things go against the grain. Fairy-wrens are FW, but Scrubwrens,
Grasswrens and Thronbills are SC, GR and TH (e.g. WBSC and BLGR)

Duplicates are out of control (I can't remember them all just now but here are
most of them):
WBWO: White-breasted and White-browed Woodswallows
WBRO: White-breasted and White-browed Robins
BHHO: Brown-headed and Black-headed Honeyeaters
BBHO: Brown-backed and Bar-breasted Honeyeaters
BBBQ: Buff-breasted and Black-breasted Button-quails
YTHO: Yellow-throated, Yellow-tufted and Yellow-tinted Honeyeaters
MAHO: Mangrove and Macleay's Honeyeaters
STSA: Sharp-tailed and Stilt Sandpipers
STSH: Short-tailed and Streaked Shearwaters
KEPE: Kerguelan and Kermadec Petrels
MAPE: Macaroni and Magellanic Penguins (I've not yet found this one a bother)
BLPE: Black and Blue Petrels (that's 2 petrels, not a single bruised one)
LBCO: Little-black Cormorant, Long-billed Corella
GRFA: Grey Fantail, Grey Falcon
MALA: Masked Lapwing, Magpie-lark
RNPH: Red-necked Phalarope, Ring-necked Pheasant (no duplicate now that the
later is COPH, but the only duplicate I was aware of in North America).
CBCU:
BAOW:
STGW:
SBTH:
BRHO:
CHWE:

MALA is the most common clash followed by GRFA, most others are usually not
sympatric.
I've not found a simple rule to sort out the clashes, and have usually ignored
most of them because of the location. For Masked Lapwing and Magpie-lark I have
used MALAP and MALAR (substituting the first non-conflicting letters in the
group part; i.e. using the first non conflicting letters whilst still
restricting it to 4 letters). However for BBBQ and most others the rule needs
to be applied to the descriptor part. It doesn't work at all well for YTHO:
(YHHO YUHO and YIHO? – who could ever figure out what those are from a field
note book?). I do like the old bushies’ name Cranky Fanny... Nevertheless, to
resolve GRFA I have fallen into the habit of using GRFAN (5 letters) all the
time and “***GREY FALCON!” about 5 times. However, the conflicts are many and I
have found no simple rule to resolve them all. It's a nuisance that Long-billed
Corellas are so widely established these days.

Changes to English names potentially render the code suddenly out-dated, and
without recognition of the code as a standard, those who change English names
do damage that they are unaware of. Most importantly, the decision to remove
hyphens (See the IOC list) can change so much (e.g. if Cuckoo-shrike becomes
Cuckooshrike then BFCS becomes BFCO, which then clashes with Black-faced
Cormorant; BBBQ and BBBQ become BBBU and create a 3-way clash with
you-know-what)

This 4-letter code has saved maybe millions of letters in my note books, and
therefore lots of time and space and books, and I keep using it despite all the
faults. However, I have never used it in a data base situation. I've often
given my notes to others to transcribe to Atlas sheets or for writing-up fauna
surveys. They usually complain at first, but with instructions of the rules
that I follow they usually do well, query a few things, and after a little
practice they always interpret the code easily.

I hope you can take it a step or two further. The three challenges I recognise
are:
1) Simple rules for resolving the conflicts
2) Stability in the face of changing English names
3) National standardisation.

I hope this information helps

.

David James,