birding-aus

Shrike-Tits at Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe, Vic.

Subject: Shrike-Tits at Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 16:43:36 +1100
We took our English cousin for a short walk at Wilson Reserve this afternoon. While looking unsuccessfully for Tawny Frogmouths near the ditch between the sports-fields and Reedy Billabong, we found a group of Golden Whistlers (one male and three or four grey birds) and two CRESTED SHRIKE-TITS, both feeding in the Red Gums and Silver Wattles. Shrike-Tits used to be reasonably common locally but they ar now seldom seen - more's the pity. Also numerous Grey Fantails and positive swarms of Silvereyes, all dark-flanked - presumably on migration from the south. We were also able to show her Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes, Bell-Miners, Willy Wagtails, and Brown Thornbills plus Black Ducks, a Dusky Moorhen, a solitary Coot (an unusual sighting here), and a Little Pied Cormorant. The usual solitary White Ibis was at the Bailey Billabong with and Australasian Grebe (locally a winter visitor).

Anthea Fleming