birding-aus

Wandering Tattler at Manly Boat Harbour

To: Paul Walbridge <>, " net. au" <>
Subject: Wandering Tattler at Manly Boat Harbour
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:04:53 +1000
Hi Paul and all

My description of the Wandering Tattler was actually poorly worded and needs
clarification. I made reference to the "pale lores and eye ring"; of course the
lores of both Wandering and Grey-tailed Tattler are dark (as was the case
here). The supercilium (eyebrow) of both is pale; however, in Wandering
Tattlers (and specifically this bird) this doesn't extend past the eye. This
Wandering Tattler was very dark indeed, especially across the breast feathers,
and stood out from the crowd even in flight.

And Paul, you're right. I think what happened here was the Wanderer was
initially on the rock wall on the seaward side - far from unusual, and like
you've I've seen them at Redcliffe in this scenario - but I've never seen one
at this location, and not usually together with Grey-taileds. Anyway, I did
overlook them as I was walking, and when I flushed them they all flew around
back to the ponds - in a Wanderer's case, I'd normally expect it to just fly
further along the rocks, but I guess it got caught up with its congeners.

If you're going back, look out for that possible Reeve!

Cheers, Andrew