birding-aus

Brief Trip Report from Thailand/Malaysia

To: <>
Subject: Brief Trip Report from Thailand/Malaysia
From: Ed Williams <>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:35:51 +0000
Hi all,

Recently came back from a short holiday to Thailand and Malaysia primarily for
attending a wedding - but I managed to get in one full day out in the field in
both countries.

In Thailand I had a big day out with Games and Ian from South Thailand Birding
in the Phang-Nga province (mainland to the north of Phuket).  It was thier
record day there as we notched up 110 species for the day across a number of
habitats.  Highlights included Ruddy Kingfisher, Bushy-crested Hornbill,
Magrove Pitta, Black & Red Broadbill and Oriental Hobby.

In Malaysia I took a day trip from Kuala Lumpur with Lee Kok Chan from Endemic
Guides out to the rainforest/sub-montane rainforest in Bukit Renggit and the
Genting Valley.  95 species that day was also a great hauland highlights there
included a stunning Garnet Pitta, Great Hornbills, the impressive White-bellied
Woodpecker, and genuinely wild Red Jungle-Fowl.

Overall the trip I notched up 176 species - and as I hadn't been birding in SE
Asia much at all before a good 135 of the were lifers.  There's something
special about birding in a new area for the first time!

I would definitely recommend both South Thailand Birding and Endemic Guides as
they put on very rewarding and ejoyable days.

For those who are interested I have pasted the trip list below.

Cheers all,

Ed

Ed Williams
Kingsville VIC