birding-aus

Nesting birds in Far North Queensland

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Nesting birds in Far North Queensland
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:57:52 +1000
Hi Folks,
Many birds seem to be having a good breeding season with the relatively dry "Wet Season" we have had so far. A pair of Pied Imperial Pigeon are building a nest in Julatten, last year they had chicks in a nest at the same location but they were blown away by Cyclone Yasi at the beginning of February. Leaden Flycatcher are feeding 2-3 chicks, Magpie-lark have a large chick almost ready to fledge. There are juvenile birds around, Cicadabird, Brush Cuckoo and Pied Monarch, photos of these birds are on our weekly blog. Red-necked Crake have three juveniles following them around, Olive-backed Sunbird also have juveniles. Dollarbirds have raised several nests in the area of Julatten and the adults appear to have left the district with only one sighting of a juvenile bird last week. Some Metallic Starling appear to have left to go north as numbers are down and several small flocks have been heading north while some birds are still collecting nesting material. The seven confirmed nests of Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfisher on our Lodge grounds are at various stages with at least two having fledged birds, four with birds almost ready to fledge and one with recently hatched chicks, again last year when we had eight nests all the birds were out before Cyclone Yasi hit at the beginning of February, flooding at least two nests, they must have known the cyclone was coming! Smaller birds recently fledged like Black-faced and Spectacled Monarch along with Pale-yellow Robin have to run the gauntlet of increasing numbers of predators such as Laughing Kookaburra and to a lesser degree Spotted Catbird, Black Butcherbird and Little Shrike-thrush - hard life being a small bird.

Cheers,
Keith & Lindsay.

--
    Keith&  Lindsay Fisher
    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism