birding-aus

Botulism a Duck Hunter Deterrent?

To: Carl Clifford <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Botulism a Duck Hunter Deterrent?
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:47:27 +0930
Several years ago over a thousand waterfowl died at Leanyer Sewage Ponds.  I
took several birds to be autopsied.  The cause of death turned out to be an
overload of parasites in malnourished birds.  We rescued dozens at some risk
to ourselves (crocodiles, giardia etc).

And then there was the pelican with the broken wing.  I paddled a dinghy
around the ponds for over two hours before cornering the bird.  It was then
captured by a friend, Rogan Draper, an obstetrician  who only a few weeks
before had delivered my son by caesarean.

Rogan and my anaesthetist, Gerry Goodhand, x-rayed the bird at Darwin
Hospital, and then set its wing.  But it never healed properly.  Called
Kruger the bird lived out its days in Rogan's yard.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow B.A. Grad.Dip.Arts
1/7 Songlark Street, Bakewell NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate (Southern Cross University, NSW)
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia
Nominated by Earthfoot (2004) for Conde Nast's Traveler International Award

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com
http://www.facebook.com/Wildlife.Tourism.Australia
http://wildlifetourism.org.au