birding-aus

reintroduction of ground-dwelling native bird species to revegetated urb

To: <>
Subject: reintroduction of ground-dwelling native bird species to revegetated urban parkland
From: a-m burgoine <>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:14:21 +1100
Hi readers, I'm curious as to where such superb fairy wrens and white browed
scrub wrens could be introduced from? (have not seen Emu article as yet).
Portland Secondary College (SW coast, Vic) has been revegetaing with native
understorey in support of mature hollow-bearing eucalypts at our campus since
2004. Our records demonstrate superb fairy wrens increasing in numbers on the
site as prickly moses and hedge wattle plantings (among many other shrubs,
grasses)  mature. They have been pretty consistent with appearances on the
monthly surveys. White browed scrub wrens are much more infrequently observed.
We hope that they will emerge on the records as the understorey plantings
continue to reclaim the 4 hectare remnant. I suspect if habitat conditions are
conducive, the birds will find their way to the site. To reintroduce such
common birds sounds like a hasty intervention. Again, I wonder where the birds
could be introduced from, and what they might think about the prospect.
A-M Burgoine, Portland. Vic.