birding-aus

Re-introduction of growd-dwelling native bird species to revegetated urb

To: Tim Dolby <>
Subject: Re-introduction of growd-dwelling native bird species to revegetated urban parkland
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:35:28 +1100
G'day Tim and all

My unpublished study on White-browed Scrub-wrens showed that in East Melbourne they mostly used Blackberries for protection and food production. They spent 2nd most time in Goodenia. While we were planting out natives in Wurundjeri Walk, I asked Council to not clear the blackberries until the native plants had regenerated enough. They held off for 5 years then sprayed the blackberries while the Superb Fairy-wrens were nesting in them. I returned from PNG to see this predicament just before the Fairy-wrens and Scrub-wrens died out.

The natives have now grown but are still a bit patchy for small birds, and occasionally I see Scrub-wrens, (they are able to live in and move through peoples yards) but neither species has taken hold again. Brown Thornbills which were not here before have taken over - but cats and foxes are a problem to any bird that spend much of their time low to the ground. The aggressive native birds have increased and they can also be a problem.

I guess the message is get the "bush thick and continuous" and see if the birds bring themselves back, if not they try re-introduction after the cats and foxes have been dealt with.

Cheers

Mike
Michael Tarburton