birding-aus

IOC-HBW comparison

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: IOC-HBW comparison
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:04:50 +1100
As a user of the IOC checklist (
http://worldbirdnames.org/updates-subspp.html) for my bird recording and as
the owner of 15 volumes of the Handbook of Birds of the World (hopefully 16
will arrive soon!) I have decided to cross reference the two. Since other
people may be interested I have put the resulting spreadsheet on line at
http://www.filedropper.com/ioclynxcompare20120130004223 (which I think may
be only valid for a week?)

Basically this cross references all species/subspecies with the
corresponding entries in the Internet Bird Collection (allowing for species
that one authority splits/lumps and the other doesn't) and provides a
reference to the relevant HBW page/volume and the IBC URL

Comments and corrections welcomed - with approx 30,000 subspecies in each
list there is no way I have checked them all manually, so it is largely the
result of computer matching!

Dave