birding-aus

Inadvertent birding

To: <>
Subject: Inadvertent birding
From: "Craig Doolan" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:38:13 +1000
I had to pop down to Pottsville (Tweed Coast, far northern NSW) this arvo to
pick up a freezer I'd bought on eBay. I was driving through Hasting's Point
just before it and I saw three Glossy Black-cockatoos drinking from a puddle
right on the side of the road. The first one flew (saw the red tail,
alerting me to what they were) and stopped right next to other two (a pair).
A shame I didn't have my camera as they stayed exactly where they were.

Anyway - picked up the freezer just down the road and stopped at the
Hasting's Point General Store for a drink on the way back through. It was
just on dusk so I walked across the road where a creek runs into the sea
while I had my drink and grabbed my binoculars out of the car. Didn't need
my binoculars though as I nearly trod on a Beach Stone-curlew - the first
time I've seen one of these south of the tropics - which then kept hanging
about the area. It was tagged with a yellow flag - if anyone knows who to
of 20 Little Terns - another bloody endangered species!!

Craig Doolan