birding-aus

Australian Owlet-nightjar & mangroves

Subject: Australian Owlet-nightjar & mangroves
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:03:25 +1000
Nick, In the late 1970s and early 1980s, I spent a fair amount of time in southern Moreton Bay (from the Hope Island area north to the mouth of the Logan River) mostly plotting Osprey territories. Australian Owlet-nightjars were not uncommon in the mangroves and in two separate instances, birds flushed from low hollows and I was able to see nest and eggs. They seem to exploit a number of habitats - from deserts to rainforest. I lived on Tamborine Mountain for many years and though I did not record them in the rainforest there, they were not uncommon in rainforest in Lamington NP at a higher altitude. Tree Martins nested commonly in the mangroves as well - nests often being as low as a metre or two above the mud.

Lloyd Nielsen,
Mt Molloy, Nth Qld