birding-aus

historical derivation of common name of noisy miner

To: Philip Veerman <>,
Subject: historical derivation of common name of noisy miner
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:55:04 +1100
Hi Philip,
A lot of early and later Australian settlers and explorers had had Indian experiences, and they would have noticed Common Mynahs. Steamers on their way to Australia or on their way Home usually called at Colombo or Bombay, and people went ashore to see the sights and get away from the bustle, noise and mess of coaling anyway.

Salim Ali's 'Book of Indian Birds' calls it Indian Myna - in Hindi 'Desi Myna'- with an accent on the e in Desi and the a in Myna, indicating a lengthened syllable - which is why I add an h to the bird, to remind people that it should be pronounced with a final 'ah', not an indeterminate 'uh'. I think Kipling spells it Mina - can't be bothered checking it on a hot afternoon.

To return to the Noisy Miners - today we saw one apparently wallowing in dust at the foot of a gate-post at Banyule Flats. It appeared to be dust-bathing, or even maybe anting. I saw it pick an ant from the post, but after it flew there were no ants visible in the Miner-sized dusty hollow it had dug out.

Best wishes,
Anthea Fleming