birding-aus

Bellarine Peninsula, Vic

To: jenny spry <>
Subject: Bellarine Peninsula, Vic
From: Russ <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:33:00 +1100
Hi Jen

I've been driving backwards and forwards past those Banded Stilts every day
for the last few weeks without bothering to stop and check what they were!
I'd just assumed they were all Black-winged until I read a note on Eremaea
about them. Certainly a magnificent sight, and so many juveniles amongst
them. I took a bit of a detour on the way home from work on Tuesday, and
had a good look at the stilts (I couldn't find ANY Black-winged at that
spot by the way) and also drove in to Hospital Swamps, where I gave up
trying to count the RK Dotterel - so thanks for persevering and giving us a
tally! Plenty of BW Stilts there, of course. I was also surprised by the
number of Great Egrets  - this species is popping up on most wetlands
around the Bellarine at the moment, but were very thin on the ground only a
year or two ago.

I had a glimpse of what was probably a WB Sea-Eagle as well. They seem to
be more common now on the Bellarine side of Port Philip.

Any birding-aus readers looking to relocate might like to know that the
property next to Hospital Swamps is currently up for sale. I don't know how
much land is included, but it would be a good way to get some unusual
species on your backyard list, as they've had Lesser Yellowlegs, Red-necked
Phalarope and Ruff there over the years!

Russell Woodford
Enjoying summer in Ocean Grove