birding-aus

Search for Possible - Western Sandpiper - Nairns, WA

Subject: Search for Possible - Western Sandpiper - Nairns, WA
From: Nathan Waugh <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 23:20:18 +0800
Hi All,

I went down to search for the possible Western Sandpiper this afternoon
from 6-7:30pm (1 hour sth of Perth). I did not locate it. Conditions were
expectantly appalling (30knt wind and high tide). Red necked stints were
approachable, only about 400 though. Many were hiding in the samphire were
not visible no doubt. A single sharp tailed sandpiper was also present with
the RNS's.

Speaking to Bill Rutherford who will be banding with a team for the next 5
days, he spoke with Craig Lester (the person who photographed the bird
approx 2 weeks ago) this morning who said he relocated the bird this
morning along with a Ruff (no further details as yet i.e.photos).

In any case, I'm hopeful that it will be relocated this week and more
evidence obtained.

Please post any further updates (even if you don't see the bird) as they
come.

Happy hunting everyone!

Kind regards,

Nathan Waugh