birding-aus

Immature Paradise Riflebird Displaying

To: "" <>
Subject: Immature Paradise Riflebird Displaying
From: Mr Stephen John Murray <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 06:34:23 +0000
Hello all. I just spent and interesting morning at Mt Glorious (near Brisbane)
chasing a few rainforest species for the year list. The highlight was was
seeing a Male Paradise Riflebird in full display...something I've not witness
before. The strange thing was, it was an immature bird. Now, I know it takes a
few years for them to reach the fully black plumage, but I had just assumed
they would wait until they were all grown up before they started that type of
caper.  He seemed to know what he was doing, and did manage to attract a couple
of females to the show. Trouble is they were the wrong species! (one each of
Regent and Satin Bowerbirds). I guess practise makes perfect. I've place a trip
report with pictures at  http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/10890
Cheers Steve Murray