birding-aus

Wedge tails a threat for livestock

Subject: Wedge tails a threat for livestock
From: Alastair Smith <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:38:56 +1100
>From ABC rural.

Wedge tails a threat for livestock

By Julia Holman
Tuesday, 10/01/2012
A New South Wales farmer has lost 15 angora goats this summer to attacks from
Wedge-tailed eagles.
Ron Harris has 200 goats at his property in Burragate in south east NSW.
He says he's frustrated nothing can be done to stop the protected species from
attacking his herd.
"I was coming up from the shed here the other day to the house and I heard a
kid scream and I thought, 'Oh, it's all right,' and then it screamed again, I
raced over to the edge of the bank and there was a Wedge-tailed eagle on top of
it and another one coming in to help it," he said.
He says that farmers used to be able to shoot the birds, but that's no longer
allowed.
"When they're protected animals you don't like to see anything happen to them,
but when you lose 15 it's getting a bit beyond a joke," he said.
"The old timers used to eliminate them, and they don't talk about it, whereas I
feel that I wish people would realise they do kill, but people try to tell you
it's foxes or it's something else, but don't say Wedge-tailed eagles."