birding-aus

18+ Freckled Ducks at Gum Swamp, Forbes NSW

To: birding-aus Aus <>
Subject: 18+ Freckled Ducks at Gum Swamp, Forbes NSW
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 21:06:28 +1100
Hi all,
Just got back from a quick family holiday to Forbes and Orange (2 nights at
each spot) to visit friends and try to photograph Freckled Ducks. Best news was
that there were at least 18 Freckleds at Gum Swamp (quite possibly 20 but a
couple were a bit out of range and hidden so don't want to count them). There
might easily have been more thoughout the swamp as these were all in fairly
close proximity to each other just west of the hide close to the shore in an
area without reeds.
I was able to get out there on 3 occasions (sunday afternoon 1st Jan, Monday
dawn and Monday sunset), and managed a few images that i was happy with
although they were still pretty skittish even with alot of patience and a bag
hide over me. Summer had definitely arrived with temps in mid/high 30's while
we were there. Mozzies were abundant to say the least and there were also heaps
of other ducks - Pink-eared, Blue-billed, Shoveler, Grey Teal, Pacific Black
Duck, Wood Duck, Aussie and Hoary-headed Grebe etc.
Raptor highlight was a Peregrine whizzing through at dusk putting up a flock of
Glossy Ibis.
I didn't bother with the inflatable boat in the end as they were quite close to
shore and i think it would have been more disruptive than helpful.
A couple i was chatting to while out there had seen 5 Superb Parrots just west
of the levy bank on the western edge not long before i got there but i didn't
see them again. I did see a flock coming out of Cudal on the drive out there
though.

All in all a great trip and the air conditioned cabin on the river at the
riverside caravan park in Forbes was great.

When i get some images processed i will share a link.

Cheers
David Stowe