birding-aus

Trip report for Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah

To: <>
Subject: Trip report for Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 17:08:10 -0000
Hi folks,

We have just got back from our 5 week "Malaysian Meanderings" - half on our own
in Peninsular Malaysia and half with Birdtour Asia in Sabah.

I have written a trip report which can be found here
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/malaysia/Malaysia-13/tour-nov-2011.htm

In the light of Rob Morris's posting re PNG it might be worth mentioning that
we were extremely happy with Birdtour Asia and James Eaton in Sabah - it was a
small group (6), the leader had truly excellent birding skills and familiarity
with the area, all the accommodation, food and transport worked really well,
the itinerary was quite generous and allowed time for bad weather, the rest of
the group had a similar level of birding skills and knowledge to our own and we
had really good views of mammals, and rafflesias too. The only thing which
didn't behave too well were some of the target birds - the famously
unpredictable Bristlehead did not show till the penultimate day! Yes, it was
hot, sweaty and leechy with some very early starts (up at 3:50 the first
morning!) and long mornings in the field but that's what you need to do to see
the birds. .

Next year we are off to PNG with Tropical Birding so we'll let you know how it
goes!!

Prior to PNG we are doing a 3 week stint in the Northern Territories as this is
the only bit of Australia which we have not yet visited - we shall probably be
in touch with you Darwinites and Alice Springers a bit nearer the time.

Regards

Rosemary Royle, Wales UK