birding-aus

Murray-Darling Basin birdlife in good shape

Subject: Murray-Darling Basin birdlife in good shape
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:18:58 +1100
A related article in yesterdays Age:
http://www.theage.com.au/environment/animals/waterbird-numbers-soar-in-east-20111218-1p0tm.html

I didn't get the impression from it that things are in good shape, only that
they're far better than they were a couple of years ago. Some relevant quotes:
"Despite the positive bird numbers, this year's survey finds breeding - while
still high - has fallen sharply from last year's record. The total size of
wetlands remains well above the long-term average, but also fell compared with
last year."

"Professor Kingsford said a basin plan was needed to build resilience into the
river system between major floods, otherwise it would continue to lurch from
crisis to crisis."

"'With this flood, from an environmental point of view, we dodged the bullet of
ecological collapse. And we can't afford to let that situation happen again,'
he said."

I think this is good news:
"But Professor Kingsford said the floods have bought some time, meaning the
basin reform process did not need to be rushed."

But will the reform happen?
"The survey comes as rural community meetings on Murray-Darling reform plans
erupted into angry scenes last week over proposals to return 2750 billion
litres of water a year to the river."

Peter Shute